So you have a little extra time on your hands lately to plan your event. Instagram and Pinterest has you flooded with ideas on how to really make an IMPACT and bring that wow factor. Well, when we think visual impact a wonderful name springs to mind instantly for us- Bangin Hangins! Pros at creating insanely beautiful and fun installations that are not only jaw dropping but also eco-conscious; the Bangin Hangins team are a must have for any event. We sat down (virtually) with the talented creator Sarah, to chat all about Bangin Hangins, sustainability and what you need to know if you want to bring this visual party to your next event!
When did you first realise you were an installation extraordinaire?
“My first couple weren’t amazing, I can tell you that, but I could see the aesthetic had potential, and people were vibing on the colours and movement. So that gave me confidence to keep trying. I also had some very encouraging industry friends early on. If it wasn’t for them, they probably would have been a one time wonder!”
What is your creative background?
“I initially dabbled in a fashion when I first left school and did a diploma. Then I went on to do a degree in Landscape Architecture and Planning. This basically translates to an Urban Designer, still love this kind of work. I love being able to dabble across a few different spaces at any one time. Keeps my brain switched on. ”
What is one of your favourite things about creating installations for events?
“Lots of things. The sense of achievement is great. In my other work life, projects last for years, so to have quick wins is satisfying. I also am just a massive fan of colour. I like witnessing the transformation of a space from something everyday and muted, to something vibrant and alive. I love the challenge of the installation itself, every space is different. Over the years, I developed some great tricks for installing. But of course, more than anything, its the people i get to meet on site. I get to see their vision and contributions come to life alongside mine. Gives me the sense of teamwork I lack working as a solo operator. ”
For someone thinking about having Bangin Hangins at their next event. Are there any structural elements that their venue needs to have to make sure it’s possible?
“If they would like an aerial feature, flat plaster ceilings are a no no (unless the venue has hidden fixing points). In these cases we normally suggest a backdrop or arch, as they are not ceiling dependant.
My favourite venues are the ones with peaked ceilings and rafters. The rustic / industrial contrast with the hangings is a match made in heaven. ”
If you are looking for the perfect Melbourne venue with gorgeous exposed ceilings and rafters, check out The Wool Mill and Gather & Tailor! Bangin Hangins sure looks beautiful draped from their exposed beams!
Tell us a about the importance of sustainability behind your brand
“When we first started out, we were asked very often to create custom pieces for purchase. I well knew that these pieces would be used once and then kept in storage for years until they were finally thrown out. I witnessed the mass waste post event for almost every event I went to. So eventually I switched from product for sales to a hire service. This way the setup was cheaper for my client to use and customise, whilst also removed the burden on my conscience.
These days, we make more of an effort to minimise our impact in a number of ways, including:
- We’re a hire business – no waste is created or left behind after our installations. Our pieces are used over and over and over and over and over (x1000).
- We have created a recycled range of hangings specifically made from roadside plastic bag waste.
- We hire 3 locals casually to assist with our installations and manufacturing. We also buy many of our materials from local businesses.
- We reuse offcuts from our streamers, and donate minimal offcuts to local childcare centres for art supplies for art activities.
- We mainly use reusable fixings to install our pieces. When we do use cable ties, we cut them in a way so that we can reuse them multiple times.
- Our studio is powered by a combo of our solar panels and the carbon neutral folks at @powershopaus.
- We offset all our carbon use through the good peeps @carbonfootprintltd
- We have not discarded one piece since we started in 2015. Where required, we repair our pieces.
- When flying interstate for installations, we offset our carbon emissions.
- We regularly support charitable initiatives targeting environment and community by getting involved on the ground of fun raiser type events. In 2019/20, some initiatives we supported included 2 x bush fire relief fundraisers, Polished Man, Treat Yo’self for Mental Health Day, The Cova Project, Sacred Heart Mission and Carries Beanies for Brain Cancer.
- Personally 100% or our Superannuation portfolio is invested in ethical investments (no coal / tobacco etc).
- We have avoided the need of purchasing a second car/van by using car share services available locally.”
What trends are you loving installation wise in events at the moment?
“I’m all about colour blocking. For me, it will never die, you just update the colours accordingly. I also just love anything repeated on mass that creates textures and depth. The simplicity of these sorts of installations teamed with the right colour palette is timeless in my eyes. ”
Can Bangin Hangins be hired interstate?
“I’m glad you asked! They certainly can. In normal non COVID times, we are happy to, and regularly travel interstate for installations. In this environment, we are happy to courier the setup to you for self installations. I talk the client through the best approach and am available to make suggestions over the phone during the install itself. We even have a frame that packs down really compact to send with the setup, so you have the whole shebang!”
Lastly, is there any colour combination too wild? Or the more the merrier?
“Blasphemy! No such thing! The colour palette sets the tone, expresses your personality or branding. If it’s wild and wonderful, go crazy I say. Likewise, if your a more calm and muted type palette person, these can look pretty amazeballs too. The world is your bang hang oyster.”
A huge thank you to Sarah for taking the time to chat with us! We can’t wait for events to be back on the cards so we can enjoy all of the beauty that Bangin Hangins has to offer with their epic event installations! If this got you excited to lock them in for your event, be sure to reach out to create some magic! Pair that with event styling by Nudo and you have yourself a dream team!!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Nudo acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to the land. We pay our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures; and to Elders both past, present and emerging.
If you’re looking for a wedding planner or stylist in Melbourne and would love a team of dreamers and doers on your side to guide you through the journey step by step. Drinking glasses of bubbles, and making wedding planning fun, then head to our contact page to chat to one of our friendly team.